Let your Guy Fawkes Night go with a tasty bang of flavour this year by cooking yourself this Catherine Wheel of deliciousness! Grow these flavourful Nigina tomatoes from Burpee.
We will all certainly be getting cosy at home this November 5th, so whether you are having an indoor firework retro treat (we know we are!) or waving some sparklers in the back garden, this tomato recipe has a nice kick and is just the ticket!
But first, let’s discuss the main ingredient…Tomato ‘Nagina’!!!
Tomato ‘Nagina’ is a plum tomato variety, which produces an abundance of large, red plum tomatoes, which are ideal for cooking. ‘Nagina’ is perfect to grow in a greenhouse and can also be grown outdoors, once the risk from frost has passed.
‘Nagina’ can be harvested from July to October, but some of our Burpee Europe fans are still picking some now!
The recipe below has been devised for Burpee Europe by the chef Valerie Hamelin, using the new tomato ‘Nagina’, but of course, whilst you are waiting to grow your crop for next year, you are allowed to use alternative tomatoes!!!
Tomato & Mustard Tarte
Serves 4 people
1 pre-rolled shortcrust pastry sheet
6 medium Nigina Tomatoes or around 500g
2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
2 tbsp Gruyere cheese
1 packet pea shoots
Olive oil for drizzle
Salt & cracked pepper
- Place the pre-rolled pastry in a 10-inch diameter tarte mould.
- Blind bake the pastry at 180 degrees until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove the tarte from the oven and spread the mustard on the base.
- Slice the tomatoes, and neatly place them on top of the cooked pastry, drizzled the olive oil , add cracked pepper & herbes de Provence
- Place the tarte in the oven and cook until the tomatoes are soft and cooked.
- Grate the Gruyere cheese on top of the tomatoes and place back in the oven for another 8 to 10 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Cut into quarters and serve.
Place the tart on a plate, a board or a slate and dress with pea shoots, fresh herbs & drizzle of olive oil
The perfect simple vegetarian starter or snack on a cold November evening!
A great traditional French tarte to enjoy on a summers evening with a glass of chilled wine and fabulous friends!
Burpee DO NOT sell direct to the consumer.
Seeds are available now from selected seed companies, please contact Fran at email@example.com for supplier list.
NOTES TO EDITORS:
Burpee Seeds Europe website: www.burpeeeurope.com