9 December 2019 – Tevuren – near Brussels.
Originally inaugurated for the Brussels International Exhibition of 1897, Charles Girault, architect of the Petit Palais in Paris was called upon to design the Africa Museum , completed in 1910. In 2013, the Museum closed for an extensive renovation and rebuild. Some 5 years later, the building now has a new contemporary feel with the preservation of its original features.
Access to the museum is now through a new visitor centre, which hosts a ticket office, shop, restaurant, picnic area for children and cloakrooms. Access to the original building is via an underground gallery which houses its permanent exhibition.
Its basement looks at the past, the present and the future prospects of the institution. The ground floor divides into five thematic zones, for the most part, dedicated to Central Africa. Its introduction of contemporary art is an important element in the renovation process. The total surface area accessible to the public has increased from 6,000 to 11,000m².